Wednesday, February 12, 2014

It has been too long

Fancy seeing you here...

Okay, these last few weeks have been insane. First there was the week leading up to exams (which is possibly more stressful than the exams themselves), then there was the week of exams, then there was the week of the play, then there was an insane week of snow days, then another, but this time with the added bonus of downed power lines.... It has been slightly chaotic. As much as I love theatre and snow days, I wish I could get back into my little routine.

I haven't had much time to read or write, or even watch TV (gasp!), so here is a hodgepodge of the few things that I have been able to do.



1. I finally watched (500) Day of Summer! I really liked it. Several people had said that I should definitely watch it, and I'd already fallen in love with the soundtrack. I had a free Sunday afternoon, so I thought why not? It was very cute and bittersweet, I didn't know what I was expecting, but this wasn't it. It's a boy meets girl story, but it's not a love story. If there is ever a rainy Saturday where you don't know what to do (as if that ever happens, right?) this is a great movie for such an occasion.



2. I watched Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows starring Robert Downey Jr. (Sherlock Holmes) and Jude Law (John Watson). I liked it enough. I mean, I like anything Sherlock Holmes, let's be real here. But - and this may be biased - I think I like Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock better. Disregarding the setting (modern in Sherlock BBC and Victorian in A Game of Shadows), I always pictured Sherlock Holmes as a really distinguished gentleman when I was reading the books. While RDJ has the fighting element and the sort of "addict" side of Holmes down pat, I think that Cumberbatch delivers the gentlemanly aspect better. His Holmes has a nearly regal presence, while RDJ's Holmes was a lot scruffier. However, the tables turn when it comes to Watson. John Watson is easily one of my favorite literary characters, and I'm very picky about how he's played. Jude Law's Watson was great. Unlike Martin Freeman's Watson in Sherlock BBC, he doesn't let Sherlock walk all over him, and he puts him in his place. I feel like he's a better balance to the insane Holmes scale. As much as I love Freeman, and I think his John Watson is great, I just thought Jude Law better captured the soldier and doctor aspect of the character, and his exasperation at dealing with such a childlike genius. I don't even know what I think about Irene Adler in A Game of Shadows. She was American. She was all over the plot line. What? Why? I didn't like her nearly as much as I like Lara Pulver's Irene Adler in Sherlock BBC. That's just my opinion. And D.I.  Lestrade is just a great character no matter how you slice it.



3. I am currently reading A Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith. Robert Galbraith is actually J.K. Rowling's pen name, and this is her first crime novel. I haven't gotten very far into it, but I like it so far. I'll keep you updated.


4. I am going on a trip tomorrow, so I got two books on my Kindle for the journey. I got Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler, which is totally chick lit, but what can you do? When I'm on vacation, I don't need thought provoking books. I just need an easy, enjoyable read, and chick lit fills the requirements. I also got a Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams. Why not? I don't know what the story really is, but I read the first few pages and I like Arthur Dent already.

That's about it. Make of that what you will, and I will be posting a review of the books I read during my break as soon (well, sometime after) I finish them.

Happy Wednesday and stay warm if you're about to be invaded by snow like I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment