Thursday, April 17, 2014

Movie night(s)

Recently I've been getting back into watching movies. Sounds a bit weird, but the reality of my last few months has been that I don't have a lot of time to watch movies without being distracted. However, in the last few days that I've been on break and even a bit before that I've been watching a lot of different kinds of movies. So I was thinking I would plan a bit of series for you guys that would talk about each movie that I've seen.

First up is going to be Moonrise Kingdom directed by Wes Anderson.


This was a great movie suggested to me a while ago and I was working at the library when I saw it, so I thought, I have time, I can watch it. 

This is a recent movie, from 2012 I think, but it's meant to look like it's something from the 60s, saturated and a little grainy. The soundtrack is really great too, I especially recommend Le Temps de L'Amour by Françoise Hardy (click on the title). 

So this is the story of a little boy named Sam and a girl named Suzy, both of whom are twelve years old and growing up on a little island off the coast of New England. They meet and fall in love, exchanging letters as they plan to run away together. Which they do, causing the whole island to panic. He escapes from his Scout camp and she runs away from her slightly crazy family. It's a very cute story, with great characters that all seem as far from perfect as possible. The cinematography was gorgeous, it's a great component to why I loved this movie so much. 

It's hard to explain, but there's something about this movie that makes it a gem. The writing is clever and funny, the characters are attaching and quirky, the soundtrack is great, and the setting is very scenic too, but it's still got a dark quality about it, especially Suzy. Also, the costumes are wonderful, not gonna lie, but I really wish I could dress like Suzy.

I highly recommend this movie.




No comments:

Post a Comment