Sunday, October 5, 2014

Books books and a movie

I am currently re-reading The Princess Bride. I'm on the second chapter currently because I started late last night and didn't feel up to staying late reading, so I didn't get far. Anyway, before I started reading it, I decided to do a little bit of research on it. There is an aspect of that book that amazes me, and that is William Goldman himself.

I liked this picture better than the book cover, even if it's from the movie
If you don't want the illusion of The Princess Bride to be shattered, don't read this next paragraph.

William Goldman wrote the book. That sounds so dumb when I say it like that, but let me reiterate. It was William Goldman who wrote the whole thing, not S. Morgenstern, as he states throughout the book. He wrote The Princess Bride as though it were an abridged version of S. Morgenstern's work of the same name. S. Morgenstern does not exist. He is made up to the same extent as Buttercup and Westley. Maybe you knew this already, but I found it amazing. Even more amazing, William Goldman invented a whole identity for himself. His wife is not a psychiatrist and he has two daughters, not a son. He made up a whole new identity to write that book. I love it. Honestly, that makes the book even better. I don't know, when I researched it I spent a few minutes just grinning at the whole situation. Also, I discovered that when I typed "who wrote" into Google, the first suggested sentence was "who wrote the princess bride" so clearly I'm not the only one who was wondering.

So yes, The Princess Bride is my current read. I finished Landlines by Rainbow Rowell as while ago, but not enough happened in it or in my brain as I read for me to write a whole review on it. It was okay, not stellar, not horrible. It was my brain-cleansing book when I had knocked out an hour of studying in the school library and had another free hour before my next class. Unfortunately, now I just spend those two hours studying and I don't have time to read.

I think I should mention here that my school library has a room called the Silent Study room. I'd never been in there since the beginning of high school, but I spend all my free time there this year. The library is easily the second loudest room in the school (after the cafeteria) despite our librarian's best efforts, but this one room is completely silent and more or less soundproof. You're not allowed to talk or play loud music or anything. I just go there, plug in my headphones with quiet music to drown out the ambient sounds of other people studying and I can get through at least 1.5 hours of work in under an hour. It's amazing.

Since this whole post is a train wreck of random thoughts, I also have to pick a book to read in English class as independent reading this semester and I have yet to decide. My top three are Great Expectations by Charles Dickens, The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne, and On The Road by Jack Kerouac. I think I'm going to go with the last one, but I have to talk to my teacher about it first.

That is all for now, I am in between books, but as I have gotten many books and book suggestions in the last week, I will hopefully be reading more.

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment