Saturday, March 28, 2015

Perfume: creepier than I expected it to be

As part of the IB program that I am currently enrolled in, we have to study a works in translation as part of our English class. My teacher chose Perfume: The Story of a Murderer by Patrick Süskind, a book originally written in German.



I loved this book so much, it's so different from everything I've ever read in school. I genuinely enjoyed reading it and analyzing it. The style is intriguing and the language is really descriptive without being boring. What really stuck out to me is the depth of the main character, but before I elaborate on that I should probably give at least a brief synopsis of the story.

So this story takes place in 17th century France, beginning in Paris with the birth of a strange boy in the fish market. From the very start of his life, Jean-Baptiste Grenouille is a remarkable human. He tends to bring death and misery to those around him, is frequently compared to a tick, and most importantly, does not have a smell. He has an incredibly developed sense of smell, but he himself does not have an odor. This is the story of his journey for identity, and a quest for his scent as he becomes a master perfumer. He does end up murdering several (too many) young women for their scent. 

What is fascinating about this book is that while the murders are a huge part of the plot they really aren't a part of Grenouille's characterization. His reaction to the murders he commits is a lot more telling of his character. I like to think of him as a cauterized wound, because while he does have a totally numb exterior, it is revealed that his mind that is deeply wounded by his very existence. He's really a despicable character, both physically and psychologically, yet at no point in the book did I ever hate him. I felt bad for him at best, disgusted by his actions at worst, but mostly I just wanted him to find peace. 

I would read this book simply because it's a classic, but also because it's simple on the surface and still leaves a lot of loose ends that you can tie up yourself if you read more into it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment