Thursday, September 19, 2013

Guide to having a good day when the rest of the week has been bleh

1. Do yoga - Okay, so my bleh week started on Saturday when my horse decided to be an ass, and I hit myself on the head several times by running into things because I'm a hopeless klutz. So, on Sunday, my friend and I went to a yoga class and it was wonderful. I'd taken classes before but it wasn't really my thing because I'd always gone hoping to get steel abs (which sadly never happened). This time, I really felt the mental benefits of it, which was very much appreciated.


2. Listen to this song. Even if you don't like Oreos. Watch the video. Several times in a row. Like I did.

3. Drink orange juice or hot chocolate (not together). It all depends on the weather. And your mood.


4. Run. Now hear me out! I am not an athletic person at all as you may have understood from 1. I've been trying to get into running, but no matter how many times I did it, I felt like I had wasted my time and not accomplished anything other than a pair of really sore legs and a hurt pride. But today, today I wanted to run. I needed to run. So I put on my brand new running shoes (school gym class required) and plugged in my music and ran. I didn't run very much, but here's the thing: running to clear your head is not at all the same as running to get fit. When you run to clear your head, you can run as long or a short as you want. I was proud of myself, I ran for two songs and a half, up and down a hill. I followed the sidewalk to see where it would take me, even though I usually end up at the same intersection. It felt good. I'm glad I went running, because it's something that I wanted to do, not something that I felt I had to do to get fit. (For those of you who are curious, I listened to Imagine Dragons' Night Vision album, which is possibly my favorite album ever.) Also, it was a gorgeous autumn day and those are one of nature's many gifts to humanity, it would have been a shame to waste it.

5. Read a book. Doesn't have to be a good book. Just read. Not a screen. That doesn't count.

6. Watch Doctor Who. 


7. Knit or crochet or sew. Or paint. Just do something creative.

8. Finish everything that you have to do, because that is one of the best feelings ever.

9. Laugh. A lot. But genuinely. 

10. Decide that you are going to have a good day. You can wake up and tell yourself "Well today sucks already and it's only 6 in the morning." Or you can be ridiculously optimistic like me and think about the good things of today. It's become a habit of mine to do that every morning. Except Wednesdays. Every Wednesday I wake up and go "God, I hate Wednesdays."

Hope this helped you in some way if you've been experiencing the mid-September blues. If you haven't, feel free to leave your secret in the comments below!

I will most likely be doing a book review shortly and a series series post. Get excited!

1 comment: