Sunday, March 23, 2014

Old sport

I read the Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzergald a week or two ago.


This book was not a school assignment, let me start off by saying that. I'll be reading it in class next year, I think. However, there were several reasons for which I wanted to read it.

First, I do feel like this is one of the pillars of American literature. I feel like I owe it to myself to read it as a real book, not as a school assignment. I wanted to make an opinion of it for myself before analyzing it in school. 

Secondly, and this is a legitimate reason, I want to see the movie because they won the Oscar for Best Costumes. But I didn't want to watch the movie without having read the book first. Also, Leonardo DiCaprio. Come on.

Thirdly, honestly, I was curious. I didn't know the story at all, so I wanted to find out.

Before I start blurting my opinions, I will warn you, this will be short because I haven't really made up my mind about it. This is a book that needs to be read analytically, and while I did understand some of the underlying themes, I want to go over it in class (you will never hear me saying this again) before I make up my mind about it. Basically, I will be talking about the story, not the themes.

So Nicholas Carraway moves to West Egg near New York. His next door neighbor is a mysterious, wealthy man named Jay Gatsby, who is known far and wide for his lavish parties. Every night, a crowd of strangers and friends show up at his door and uphold the reputation of the roaring twenties. Despite all the people who show up every night, nobody really knows who Gatsby is. Some say he is an Oxford alumni, some say he's killed a man. Eventually, Nicholas Carraway and Jay Gatsby become friends. Nicholas discovers that they have a mutual acquaintance, the lovely Daisy Buchanan. Turns out, there is a long history between Daisy and Gatsby, a tale of romance, of war-torn lovers. But Daisy is married, and Gatsby cannot let go of the love they once had.

This story is heavily character based, and there are only a few named characters, so I will make a list that will hopefully be complete.

Jay Gatsby - rich bachelor, still in love with Daisy after she got married while he was at war
Daisy Buchanan - lovely young woman, Gatsby's love
Tom Buchanan - Daisy's husband, has a mistress
Myrtle Wilson - Tom's mistress, wife of the local mechanic
Mr. Wilson - the local mechanic
Jordan Baker - tennis player, Nicholas's love interest, friend of the Buchanans
Nicholas Carraway - narrator, friend of Gatsby and Daisy

I'm pretty sure that that's the essential cast of characters... There are a few more family members and acquaintances but these are the main characters.

Like I said, this is short because I don't want to sound illiterate if I start rambling off about themes that I've only half-grasped. That said, I did like the story. I really want to go to a Gatsby party, not gonna lie. 

Let me know what you thought of the Great Gatsby down in the comment section below! Opinions on the book as well as the movie are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment