Sunday, June 23, 2013

An Unexpected Read

I went to the library to get a drink of water. Let's just start by pointing that out. I had no intentions of getting a book. I wasn't even finished Narnia and had barely started Wildwood. So no, no books.

But this one, this one drew me in. It had a strange shape, square instead of rectangular. The cover was strange and the title was barely legible. I don't know why that made it particularly attractive, but it did. I picked it up off the shelf, read the summary, leafed through a few pages, as you do. Then...I slid to the floor and started reading it in the middle of the aisle. Well then, that plan failed.


The Wikkeling by Steven Arnston.

The cover is creepy, indeed some parts of the story are creepy too, but my goodness, I loved it.

It takes place in a new society (dystopian, just the way I like it) but it was still believable. It's a lovely, random story. The characters are attaching, the setting is convincing and the villain is uncomfortably creepy (sign of a good villain). Also, there's an illustrated bestiary in the middle, which I loved.

I highly recommend this book if you have a few hours to kill. It's an über quick read and interesting all the way through. I didn't mean to pick it up but I'm so glad I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment