Thursday, December 26, 2013

A controversial topic and a stroll through my new acquisitions

For Christmas this year, I asked for, wait for it...

A Kindle.

Get away from me with your torches and pitchforks, I don't need to justify my actions to you.

But I will. Because I think it's an interesting discussion, Kindle vs. Book. 

First off, let me state that I love physical paper books. I love the smell, the feel, I love flipping through the pages. I love books and I always will.

However, I think that Kindles have their place too. They are lightweight, small, and you can carry a thousand books in your pocket, which is very convenient for me because I do tend to travel a lot. 

Now, here's my reasoning. I don't think Kindles and physical books should be in conflict. I think that they actually complement each other. I know people that didn't used to read at all until they got eBooks and were able to access whatever book they wanted at a click of a button. Now, they read a lot and all the time. Then, there are people who just don't want to read on a screen, and so they don't and that's that. I really don't see why there's a conflict. Now, some will say that eBooks are the reason book stores are a dying breed. Well, that may be true, but Amazon is a also a valid cause of death: it's so much easier just to order a book online and have it delivered to your house. 

That said, I do miss bookstores a lot.


So on my brand new awesome-tastic Kindle, I currently have two books: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (because I love it very much and I really wanted to have my own copy) and Stardust by Neil Gaiman because I can't get my hands on it at the library. I'm really excited to started reading it.


Other than that, my brother got the three book boxset of the Divergent series, and as I haven't yet read Allegiant, which is the last book, I stole it temporarily and am about 2/3 of the way through. I can't really remember the plot line from the other books, but I do really like this series. Yay dystopian fiction!

I'm also currently reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making by Catherynne M. Valente. I'm having trouble getting into it: when I actually do read it, I really like it, but I have trouble making myself pick it up. It's weird. The book is insane, I love it, it's like a modern Alice in Wonderland. 

The last book in the pile is Humans of New York by Brandon Stanton. I follow him on Facebook, on his page also called Humans of New York. He's a photographer who takes pictures of strangers on the streets of the Big Apple and asks them one question. That question usually leads to a very interesting insight into people's minds. It's fascinating and this book is a collection of three years worth of work. It's very inspiring, and a beautiful book. I read it in about an hour, it's basically a picture book, but so worth the time. 

What books did you get for Christmas or any other holiday?
What is your opinion on the Kindle vs. Book situation?
Leave your answer in the comments below!

Happy Holidays! (a little late, but oh well)


2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on the whole Kindle thing! I bought myself a Kindle this past summer after my first paycheck. I thought I would read it maybe twice then never look at it again but i could not have been more wrong! I like how you can get all the classics for free and most every book is at an extremely discounted price! I also like how i can read in bed with the lights off (due to my Kindle paperwhite). I still read paperback books when i borrow from friends or just happen to be in a bookstore, which happens way too often, and fall in love with a book cover...which also happens way too often. All in all, I love my Kindle and still read paperback!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all of the above! I like books as in "the words lined up to make a story". I don't think the packaging should matter that much, be it on paper or on a screen! (Although I do love me a pretty book cover.) And I think that regardless of whether I have a Kindle or not, it isn't physically possible for me to walk into a bookstore and not buy a book. Thank you for your comment! :)

      Delete